Help PMA grow | Petition forms | Site map | PMA main page
Bose Levu Vakaturaga Resolution
25 May 2000
The Bose Levu Vakaturaga (Great Council of Chiefs) has resolved the following
1) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga give its full support to His Excellency the President of the Republic of the Fiji Islands in his effort to return Fiji to normalcy and out of the state of emergency which now exists.
2) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga agrees that amendments be made to the 1997 Constitution and that these amendments should embrace all concerns that have been expressed by the Taukei.
3) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga gives its full support to Ratu Sir Kamisese Mara as President of the Republic of Fiji and Ratu Josefa Iloilo as Vice President.
4) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga agrees that a Council of Advisors be appointed to assist His Excellency Ratu Sir Kamisese Mara, President of the Republic of the Fiji Islands as leader of the interim administration.
5) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga agrees that His Excellency the President has sole authority to appoint the Council of Advisors and that some of these Advisors be selected from the group led by George Speight.
6) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga agrees that His Excellency the President be requested to exercise his powers to pardon all those who participated in the forceable take-over of Parliament and the kidnapping of the Peoples Coalition Government.
7) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga agrees that His Excellency the President be requested to give full and urgent attention to the grievances as raised by various Taukei groups during the recent protest marches with special attention given to ensuring that the position of the President and Prime Minister together with other senior Government positions (unspecified) shall always be held by indigenous Fijians and Rotumans.
8) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga agrees that an immediate request be made for the release of all hostages from the Parliamentary complex and the surrender of all firearms to the Police.
9) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga agrees that the interim administration have a definite term and that it has as a primary focus the amendments to the 1997 Constitution, and amendments necessary to subsidiary and related legislation.
10) The Bose Levu Vakaturaga agrees that it will continue to be available for further dialogue with George Speight and his followers should the need present itself.
Link to main page on Fiji.