Spy base accused start fast in cellsBy ANNA CHALMERS - The Dominion Post | Friday, 02 May 2008
The three men charged in connection with the vandalising of Waihopai spy base have begun fasting behind bars, refusing all food and only drinking water.
Dominican friar Peter Murnane, Otaki organic gardener Adrian Leason and Hokianga farmer Sam Land - members of the Christian Ploughshares war protest group - spent their first day in police cells fasting and praying, legal adviser Moana Cole said.
"The idea behind that is to give them a focus around what they did and why they did it. They'll do that till the bail hearing," said Ms Cole, who is also a Ploughshares activist.
The trio allegedly broke into the Marlborough spy base early on Wednesday, cutting through three security fences and piercing one of two 30-metre rubber balloons that protect equipment.
They were charged with intentional damage and entering a building with intent to commit a crime.
A Blenheim judge rejected their bail application, citing the $1 million damage. The men entered no plea and were remanded in custody till Monday.
Ms Cole, who herself spent a year behind bars in the United States after vandalising a B52 airplane, said she spoke with Leason yesterday. He had told her they were not eating and only drinking water.
She did not believe any of the three had spent time behind bars before, but said they were holding up well.
"These guys are pretty disciplined characters."
• Virus vaccine free for girls
• Juror's sobs halt Kahui trial
• Partner in court after woman burnt in house fire
• Quake rattles West Coast
• Trial approved for Strait tidal power
• Truck drives into house
• Social costs from illicit drug use hit $1.3b
• Man dies in fatal crash near Winton
• Killed Canterbury driver four times over booze limit
• Swindle sees Chch accountant-author jailed
• Victim might have saved friend's life
• Poison hoax shuts Chch Botanic Gardens
• Mum who abused baby has another daughter
Margaret Agnew's blog on the film business
» Hmm, I could really go for a burger...
Into the frying pan- Mike Moreu
» See cartoon gallery